FURMARK and Animal Welfare
Guaranteed animal welfare and environmental standards
In 2020, BFTA and its members – working with the International Fur Federation – will launch FURMARK across the UK.
FURMARK is an international mark that will guarantee animal welfare and environmental standards across the entire supply chain, including at the point of sale. FURMARK will ensure and guarantee that each stage of the production process meets strict requirements that reflect various globally recognised animal welfare and sustainability standards.
FURMARK has three key principles that align with what the public expect of a natural, sustainable textile:
1. Science - the certification programs of FURMARK and their individual protocols are all science-based and will be approved by
2. Independent inspection - verification of FURMARK will be conducted by third parties and publicly available
3. Transparency - programmes under FURMARK must meet recognised national regulatory standards and international industry standards for truthfulness, transparency, sustainability, relevance, accessibility, efficiency, engagement, impartiality, improvement, and rigor
What does FURMARK mean in practice?
- Independent welfare standards
- External audits and validation
- Supply chain commitment
- Consumer confidence